Black hat SEO is a practice that increases a website ranking in search engines by means of violating search engine’s terms of services. The term “black hat” originally exposed in Western movies to distinguish the “bad guys” from the “good guys”, who wore white hats. Recently the term is used more commonly to describe computer hackers, virus creators, and those who perform unethical actions through computers and web servers.
Today’s part of our regular guide we’ve shown you all some most unethical actions that webmasters adopt (willingly or unwillingly) to perform SEO and some of them finally being treated as Black Hat SEO techniques by Google and other search engines.
Today I will show you how to properly detect and sort out all the black hat seo techniques that might be resulting our web pages being ignored or entirely removed by search engines
What does Black Hat SEO mean?
Black Hat SEO is most commonly known and defined as a disapproved practice for search engine optimization that increases a site’s ranking consecutively on search engine results pages. These SEO practices are totally against any search engine’s terms of service which can result in the site being ignored or banned or entirely removed from the search engine directories(certainly from Google and other search engines).
This is one kind of work which puts no value to the content either for users or search engines also makes no sense of any specific content but getting gradual increment in site’s ranking that is to be treated as Black Hat SEO. The same test can be applied to the paid search practices to determine whether an activity is considered to be black hat ppc marketing.
Below we’ve managed a complete list of 12 most trending SEO Techniques that search engines(specially Google) hate and predict as spam or black hat seo techniques. I think every user specially webmasters should know and avoid all of these techniques so that their sites will never be predicted as spam and you could be serving safe and useful SEO across the web.
Automatically Generated Content
Automatically generated content is a content that is being generated by Automation or any programming software that is auto generated. This type of content consists of paragraphs of random texts which do not make any sense to the reader nevertheless may contain search keywords.
- Text that is translated by an automated tool without human review
- Text generated through automated process, such as Markov chains
- Text generated via scraping Atom/Rss feeds or search terms
Participating in Link Scheme
Weblinks intended to manipulate PageRank or a site’s ranking in Search Engines like Google and other may be considered part of a link scheme. This includes such behaviors that integrate links to your site or outgoing links from your site. Following are some of the practices of link scheme that can serious affect your site rank on Google search results
- Buying or selling links that pass PageRank which might include money for link exchanging, or similar posts that contain links, exchanging goods or services instead of links or sending someone a giveaway in lieu of writing about it and including link.
- Extremely link engagements(link to me and i’d link to you) or partner sites exclusively for the sake of cross-link-building
- Large scale of article marketing for content or guest posting campaigns that include keyword rich anchor text
Some wrong link schemes that most of the bloggers take part:
- Third part advertisements (Advertise with Buysellads or similar) that pass PageRank
- Paid post (post which requires money before publishing on any blog) that includes links that can pass PageRank
- Links built in optimized anchor text in articles or press releases distributed on other sites.
- Keyword rich, hidden text or low quality links embedded in widgets, plugins, themes or templates that are widely distributed among the users.
- Forums commenting with optimized links in the posts of signature, i.e.
Thanks for the comment! -Mike Blogging tips, Search marketing, Affiliates, Make money,
Cloaking practices through presenting users and search engines all the different content or Urls. This is considered as a violation according to Google webmaster guidelines since it provides the users different results rather they expected.
- Serving pages as a regular html text document to search engines, whether showing a page of only images or flash to users.
- Filling an article with only keywords or phrases whether the user agent requesting the page is a search engine, not a human visitor.
Domain redirects are very common issue in web pages which are actually maintained by search engines, search directories, social bookmarking sites, forums etc. platforms. There are many good reasons of URL redirection like 301 redirect(permanent redirect), 404 redirect(error page redirect) etc.
Typically large sets of poor quality pages whereas each page includes optimized keywords or phrases are treated as doorway pages. These pages are almost written to rank the web using particular phrases or high search term keywords. This type of adoption deceive users and search engines can’t handle these types of queries from search results pages.
- Having multiple domains targeted at specific regions, cities that funnel users to one page
- Templated pages(or squeeze pages) made for solely affiliate linking
- Multiple pages on your site with similar content designed to rank for specific queries.
Hidden Text and Links
Hidden text or links sometimes play with content to manipulate Search engine rankings can be seen and treated as deceptive attempt which is completely violated by Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.
How hidden texts or links pose?
- Using white text or link on white background
- Inserting text/link behind an image
- Using css reposition or text-off the screen
- Setting the font size to 0px
- Hiding a link by adding in a small character i.e. hyphen, point etc.
Participating in Affiliate program without adding sufficient value
Google suggests webmasters to add sufficient value to content so that users can be benefited having rich and unique content. This is particularly important for sites that join in affiliate program. Naturally affiliate websites are designed only to deliver content on products that are chosen from affiliate networks they’re engaged in.
These types of websites often publish reviews only using copy and paste procedure, because the aim of the user to publish multiple reviews on different products not the specific content with exact and required information.
As a result, sites featuring mainly on content from affiliate networks are to suffer strongly in Google’s search rankings, because they do not have enough required and unique content that differentiates them from other sites on the web.
Copying and republishing content from other sites without the original author’s permissions is not only prohibited by DMCA but also this forces Google to make any site be spammed. Some webmasters use content that is taken from another website(surely reputable site) deeming that the search engine ranking will rapidly goes higher on keyword competition but this leads their content to be scrapped. Scrapped content means exactly the partial fragments of sentences sorted out from different articles around the web.
Loading pages with irrelevant keywords
Keyword stuffing is another deceptive activity which means to fill content with only keywords tending to increase search engine rankings. This not only makes users perplexed but also search engines to properly deliver queries in search results. You may know more about keyword stuffing from below article
#10 Creating pages with malicious behavior
Distributing a wide range of executable files(which might contain infected materials or malicious behavior) through out content publishing behaves in a way other than a user expected is a violation of Google’s webmaster guidelines.
Abusing Rich Snippet Markup
Rich snippets are generally used to summarize content of a page in such way that makes it even easier for users to understand what the page is all about in search results pages. If any user considers to take advantages of rich snippet, think about to prompt visitors, drive more traffic and getting ranked well on search engines would be found as abusing of rich snippet markup by Google and your content would be taken as spam and Google might take manual actions against the user.
Sending Automated Queries to Google
Google doesn’t allow webmasters to send automated queries of any sort to their system(using any software such as WebPosition Gold) without express permission in advance. In addition to rank checking, other types of automated access to Google without permission are also a violation of Google Terms of Service.
Why You Should Avoid Black Hat SEO?
Black Hat SEO techniques can get your website’s performances being ignored in search results or banned or entirely being deleted by Google and other search engines. Although there are short term SEO success through increasing traffic on your site and the probability of getting traffic is more higher.
If you think online businesses for temporary or over lasting period then you should avoid Black Hat SEO tactics, rather than you should follow the webmaster SEO guidelines that Google and other search engines afford.
Black Hat SEO may not be creating natural links since most of your links will be coming by deceiving other people on search engines. See below image and learn what the head of Google webspam Matt Cutts says about link building
Tomorrow we’d publish all the White Hat SEO link building strategies that Google and other search engines support and you can build up high page rank backlink.
Latest posts by Ahmed Shawan (see all)
- An In-depth Look at Nextcloud File Hosting - March 5, 2017
- 15 Best and Cheapest Email Marketing Service Providers - May 2, 2016
- How I Increased My WordPress Site Page Speed by 300% - April 24, 2016